Friday, June 22, 2012

I'm going to change the name of this blog

I'm going to change the name of this blog. I can't believe how long it's been.

 I wanted to have some pics to share before I posted again, and of course, lack of bandwidth and access have kept me from posting anything.

Anyway, I have been doing stuff for the last 2 weeks.

I call this one 'Steampunk Rustic':











Okay, I'm skipping along pretty quickly just to get it done. Sorry for the lack of details:
The building of Eagle Spirit Door (bedroom)

Kreg Jig Hint #1, use paraffin on the drillbit. Goes much more smoothly.

Step 1: into the planer.

Step 2: out of the planer. Reset, Repeat, over and over and over and over again. I spent days planing this hemlock.


Speaking of planes, Tracey and I were up the local Re-Store (one of our favorite spots) and I found this old rusty plane for $5. It was literally a chunk of rust. But I gambled the $5. Got it back to the homestead and carefully managed to work it apart.



I managed to get something like a surface on the shoe after a LOT of work. The shoe was broken and welded, and will never be flat again. You can see the weld to the right of the slot. The frog is a style I've never seen before. It's def a Bailey style plane, but it's not a Stanley #4, or #5, or #6,7,8 or 9 either. In fact, I'm not sure it's a Stanley at all.



After a few hours of work, I eventually got a serviceable plane. The blade needs to be re edged, but it works. Sadly, I broke the handle while sanding it, but I'm pretty sure it was already going. Looks and feels like walnut to me. But it works.
Okay, moving along;



One of the pieces of hemlock looks a bit dodgy, and I considered ripping the dodgy bit off the board before planing it, but I wanted to hoard the wide pieces, so I choose to plane it and see what I ended up with, and this showed up. I call it Spirit Eagle. It will be the feature of the bedroom door.



Still Life with Titebond.



Eagle Spirit Door coming together



I'm slowly managing to move the woodshop into the cabin crib. The far stack of boards is Eagle Spirit, the near stack is the laundry room door. It will be a pocket door.





The Tardis is almost done.

And I can't wait to finally be able to take a shower.
And that's the news from Cold Comfort.

1 comment: