Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It occurred to me that I need

it occurred to me that I need to change the title of this blog, as I'm not coming even close to updating every day.

That said, though it's been weeks, I've actually been doing stuff. My concern, and the reason I've not posted is because I didn't really have much of anything to say, as I felt like I wasn't getting anything done. Well, For what it's worth, here it is.

I think I left off here:




Well, here's the jig for resawing the old flooring:




Did I say something before about Freud saw blades? I think I did. Anyway, moving right along:



Same doorway treatment into the bedroom, and now the anteroom has a finish-y feel to it. Moved some of the Davis furniture in, and started sleeping on the futon, instead of in the tent-cot. Big change, feels good.

Then on to other stuff, with that milestone reached:

On the words of Dave Hickey, one of the premier DIY'ers on this planet, I bought one of those Kreg jigs, and now it's time to put it to work.
remember all that hemlock?


First cabinet I've built in a long time.



massive amounts of sanding, and a lot of messy stuff trying to get the base to play well with the whackiness of the level of the floor, or rather, the distinct lack thereof.

yes, that's a laundry sink. The bathroom (in-house, rather than out-house) will be a laundry sink. Just makes more sense that those tiny little basins. This is me, shrugging.

So, more kreg jig fun:



Plane it, plane it, and plane it again. Days spent planing, thinking it's right, then planing some more.



Eventually, I got sick of planing, and set the pockets, and started the glue up.



Ready for the battens.



Batten door, one each. Hemlock with an inlay of Sassafras.

(and days of sanding and sanding and more sanding go by)



"finished" (if you can call it that) with Formby's. Because it's easy, and to be fair, if you work it hard enough, it actually looks okay.



Spent today at Cold Comfort doing a final coat of Formby's, cutting in the hinges, the old-school way, by eye and by hand with chisels, and yeah, I used a level, it helps. Hung the door. And here it is. Nope, not done, I failed to take into account how much the floor drops from the wall towards the center of the room, so I need to relieve an inch or so from the bottom of the door so that it will open all the way. Binds up close to the bathroom exterior wall. Folks have suggested cutting a crescent moon into the door, and in fairness, the composter needs ventilation to work correctly. But I think pulling warm air under the door is a better fit. Besides, (and here's your trivia for the day) If I cut a crescent moon in to the door, that would make this 'in-house' (not out-house, 'cause it's inside) the women's. See, the crescent moon is the woman's outhouse. The men's outhouse has a sun carved on the door for the vent. Now, since men just use the woods anyway, the men's outhouse usually fell into disrepair and the woman's outhouse had to be maintained. So, all we now know of any outhouse, are those with the crescent moon, as the sun outhouses rotted into the ground long ago.

And that's all from Cold Comfort today.

Except maybe,



This is Erustepholis Davis, or Ed as we call him. He's come up to live at Cold Comfort, and he's most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment