Saturday, May 12, 2012

I kept at it.

Got up, and got back at it.

Friends of mine, who actually know what they are doing, have been somewhat dismissive of my intention to build and hang my own doors, in my own door frames. Which is fair enough. That's how folks do doors. Go buy a pre-hung and stick it in the rough-in, tack it in place, shim and level, and done.

Sadly, I don't have that much sense.

Some old oak flooring, re-sawn serves as the frame for the bathroom door. This was the old kitchen floor. It won't be going back down, as it's a bit thick for a radiant floor.



Tracey had sanded the finish off a few of these boards last spring. So out of the garage they came, and onto the work table. Ripping them to the proper width proved pretty straightforward with the new work table. That was time well spent.

 With the door way in place, was time to see if I was kidding myself.



Hrmmmm, , ,



I hate big levels. But not too shabby.


Now THAT'S more like it. Of course, it's a short level. I think I like short levels better.

But the level only tells part of the story




it's old,
it's rusty,
it's ill tempered
But it NEVER lies.



mmmmmm,
umm,hum, hrmm



Errr, and ha!

Horizontal is plumb, and the verticals are true to the horizontal, even if big nasty level's bubble is a tick to one side.

It's a doorway, and it's oak, and it's plumb and it's true.

More trim, more molding, more flooring, more more and more.



Fairly, I'm terrible at drywall, I can't paint worth a hoot, and I know I'm no frame carpenter, and I shere ain't no cabinet man, but this I can do, and I like doing it, and I can build doors from scratch, and they are much cooler than store bought stuff. But in truth, no one really cares, you can't get paid to do this work.

 I like it though. Yes, that's a great big knothole in the 'corner molding'. I like knotholes, I like defects. Clear lumber has it's place, but this is mostly aesthetic, not structural, and I like wood with character, and that's my sense of aesthetic. How it iz.


No comments:

Post a Comment